Wednesday, August 25, 2010

It's the little things.... you know..... like Cranberry Chicken.

So....  day 7 of first grade.  Averie made my day today, mainly because, I think I made her day! 

She loves Wednesday's (almost as much as I do - it's my one day a week that I'm able to work at home).  Wednesday's in the Meyer house are really quite special.  Today started off like any other Wednesday.  After Mimi (we call her Mee Mee) arrived & we got Ave to the bus (timely!), I spent a little time with Bren and then headed off to start my work day at my favorite coffee shop in town (Thanks Kaye!) and got right down to business.  While working, for the 2nd week in a row, I happened to run into our new pastor.  What a delight that's been.  I'm sensing a trend and am really looking forward to our Wednesday chats.  (Just another way to make Wednesday's great for me!) 

Finished up my morning at the coffee shop and headed back to the house.  Sent Mimi on her way for the day, got Bren down for her nap, watered my plants, saw someone letting their dog pee in our yard (does it stop with pee???  I didn't see any "doo doo" bags in their hands.  Grrrrrr.), got supper started in the crock pot (another Wednesday regular!), and got back to working....  I even took the folding chair out to the porch today (our porch swing is broken or I'd have sat there.... The hubs & Ave took a little dive - I laughed hysterically & then realized they weren't hurt, so laughed a lot more....)  Anyway, it was a great day. 

I glanced at the clock & realized it was getting about that time.  The time I anxiously await - the time I can make my way to the bus stop to greet my little buddy.  She's sure exhausted when she gets off that bus, but she's still full of stories and so super sweet.  She talked the entire walk back to the house today and we entered the door and she looked at me with her big blue eyes and said, "Momma!  What's that smell? You made cranberry chicken!!!!  I love you!!!  Is that for supper?"  "Yes, you guessed it.", I said.  Seriously?  I made my child's day.  She was so excited for CRANBERRY CHICKEN, complete with a side of white rice.  She jumped up & down for at least 6o seconds.  She was ecstatic!  I will admit it, I got all teary-eyed just because I realized how something so little made her day.  I think as adults we're like that too.  It really is the little things that seem to matter.  Listening ears, kind gestures, sound advice, cranberry chicken..... 

Here's to a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment